Sunday 15 May 2011

Turban DIY.









I'm not a massive fan of turbans to be honest, but a girl in H&M in Leeds was wearing one she made herself when I was in yesterday and it looked lovely on her. I've never really been in to them because I always thought they looked better on long hair and not awkward length hair like mine. I still think they look better on long hair but since I have awkward length hair, I've had to make do.

I originally mentioned this DIY Turban idea to Gem a few weeks ago. Or a week. Or something. I have no concept of time. I thought it would be a lot harder than it is, involving sewing *shudder* and other difficult techniques. However, it is really simple!
I wasn't sure how to show you the steps, but here goes.

1. Firstly, you need a long strip of material like the one shown in the fourth picture. You can use a silk scarf or whatever, folded to make a strip. Just play around and see what works for you.

2. Fifth picture: Put the material around your head and pull the two ends as if you're about to tie a knot but don't finish the knot. Instead, cross the two ends under and back over each other like in the sixth picture to give that turban twist/loop at the centre.

3. Finally, bring the ends round to the back and tie. You can then tuck in the knot at the back and fan out the material/scarf at the sides to make it a bit thicker. I like it a bit messy so I usually pull bits of my hair out to give it a bit of volume.

4. DONE. Now you have yourself a cute DIY turban and you've saved yourself a few bob with this handy tutorial. Let me know if it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment