Thursday 24 June 2010

MY FIRST CHAIR REDO!

While over at A DAY IN THE LIFE OF DOLLFACE - she posted about a blog called BETTER AFTER, it's all about awesome before and after pics of stuff people have re-done to look awesome. I can tell you I have been hooked at looking at this blog! I can't stop! I was so inspired I decided to tackle my own chair redo.

I got the chair and the desk at a garage sale many years ago for I believe around $30-$40 bucks. I have the desk in storage right now, but plan on painting it to match the chair soon. The chair has been in my son's room for him to use at his desk.




As you can see the white material of the chair has gotten worn and dirty. If you look closely I think I even see a little hunk of orange Cheeto on the seat, lol. Most of my wood furniture is black so I decided on painting the chair a glossy black. I really wanted it to look really glossy when I got done. And I picked out a muted turquoise blue and gray material to recover the seat with. My after pics aren't the best, I just took them this morning and I don't think there was enough light yet to get more color accurate pics. And when I used the flash, well you can see how it just bounced off the glossy paint. But you get the idea anyway!





I'm just so pleased with myself, not only for how easy it was but how quick and cheap it was to do. I paid $6 for the material (30% sale at Hobby Lobby!) and the spray paint was $5, I already had a can of Kilz primer so I used that. I went and bought the stuff last night and was done in like 2 hours. Of course I let the chair dry overnight, but it was basically done that quick.


A few weeks ago, me and mom tackled a piano bench. I told her I was looking for a little table to have outside and she found this piano bench at a junk store for only $5. We thought perfect, since the seat opens up I could store my grill utensils in there.

Here it is before:




And here it is after:




This project took us a full weekend, but there were more coats of paint involved in this because of the crackle look I wanted. The cost was a little bit more expensive too, but I have lots of leftover paint to use on future projects. The paint was specially mixed to match OU Sooner Football's colors of crimson and cream. I also left the inside of the lid cream and plan on adding some sort of OU Sooners something to it, but I haven't found just the perfect thing yet. All in all though, I'm really pleased with my new bench!


Here is a glimpse of my next project I have in the works. These country style chicken and rooster are getting a makeover! They aren't done yet, I'm putting a black glaze over them, a technique I saw on Better After that I have been itching to try!!



P.S. If you wanna check out Dollface's awesome before and after pics of her house CLICK HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment