Tuesday 1 June 2010

Chanel - Nouvelle Vague

Chanel Nouvelle Vague

There are occasions where you think you've deserved something nice to indulge in. Normally I don't buy real expensive polish, but a few weeks ago we were on a bad ass nail polish crusade in Germany and we ran into a store that had Chanel's Nouvelle Vague and I just had to have it. Paying around €21,50 must mean it's good right? Well, let's see about that.

Chanel Nouvelle Vague

Nouvelle Vague belongs to the Les Pop Up de Chanel collecion, a limited collection for this summer that came out little over a month ago. After the success of last year’s hit polish, Jade, all eyes were on this pretty pale turquoise color. Even Pantone unveiled turquoise as the Color of the Year for 2010. So is this polish a hit?

I'm not sure. When I think of Chanel, I think of luxury, quality, durability.

Chanel Nouvelle Vague

The color is gorgeous! This is a pale, muted shade of turquoise, it's a bit bold but not in your face. I love that. It's not totally unique though, but that's almost impossible in this crazy nail polish industry.

How much I love the color, I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to the quality of this nail polish. The application was truly disappointing, simply a drag. Unfortunately, this polish is thick and streaky. I had to apply 3 layers to make it look okay, so no utopian *omg like butter 1 coat wonder" hallelujah praises here. It also bubbled a bit, but my cheap ass top coat (David) made it look pretty again. I probably wouldn't be so disappointed if this concerned a low budget brand but from Chanel I'd expect more.

The wear is mighty impressive though, I'll give 'em that! I wore this for over five days, without any chipping or tipwear!

So is this worth the cash? I'm not sure. There are alternatives out there for a better price, think Orly Gumdrop and China Glaze For Audrey. These don't have the shimmer you see in Nouvelle Vague, but the color is pretty close. Besides, this shimmer is hardly noticable, you'll still need the sun or a construction light for it to show.

Chanel Nouvelle Vague

So dear readers, what are your thoughts on this? Worth the bucks or would you rather pick up something dupish for less?

No comments:

Post a Comment