Tuesday 16 November 2010

Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eyeliner in Midnight Black

I was lucky enough to get a lovely little Smashbox present (all the way from America) from my boyfriend. I had run out of my usual liquid eyeliner, so it was great when he got me a little pot of gel-based eyeliner (which I've wanted to try for so long). To clear this up, his usual presents are fridge magnets and oversized tshirts which live in my pyjama draw, I guess he had been speaking to the consultant at the counter or something. 
I was eager to try this, and dug out my MAC 209 brush especially for the occasion. I'd never used a gel-based eyeliner before so I wasn't sure what to expect. 

Upon opening the product, it was quite tough on top. I wasn't expecting the eyeliner to be so viscous, and knew I was going to have some problems doing my eyeliner flicks with this liner. 


It was basically solid, and I had to dig into it to get some of the product on to my brush. I carefully applied it to my upper lid, which was no easy task. It went on quite thick and cakey, and because it was quite dry I couldn't blend it. 
Smashbox say the product "stays blendable for 60 seconds then dries to a smudge-proof, budge-proof finish that lasts all day"
My flicks on the outer corner of my eyelid were actually impossible, the product was far too dry and viscous to use! So i got my 209 brush and dug under the top layer (as you can tell, my pot is a mess...) and it was actually a bit more gel-like underneath. I was able to use this as an actual eyeliner, and it didn't look like I'd applied it with a shovel. 
As you can see from the swatches, it is a bit more blend-able now that I've pillaged the pot. Overall, this eyeliner was a bit of a let down. I expected big things from it, considering it was Smashbox and it came all the way from America. I might try leaving this in a warmer place, in an attempt to make it a bit more liquid and therefore, manageable. I'm not going to give up on gel liner, but I may try a different brand. 
Have any of you experienced any problems with gel liners? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment